Sunday, February 14, 2010

MeatLove and one hot mess!

Tonight my honey made us not meatloaf, but meatLOVE. It was so yummy! 
 We followed this yummy meal with what we thought would be so fun to make and eat. It was a hot mess!!! Earlier in the week a fellow blogger, Beth (whom I adore), had the cutest recipe for meringue ice cream cones. This was so precious that I had to try it!!! I am by no means a great cook or baker but I thought this would be fail proof. It all started with the meringue...
No fluff. No peaks. What had I done wrong? I beat this meringue to death trying to get some fluff. It finally got a little thicker. However, I am positive there was never a peak or even a valley. Maybe it was closer to a rolling hill. Anyway, I decided to go ahead and fold in the m&ms. I then transferred scoops of the "mixture" to the baking sheet. I predicted it would all run together and form a great big blob. It didn't, but then again, things aren't over yet. 
 (yes, my daughters look homeless because I have been so busy whipping the meringue and have not had the chance to wipe their face or comb their hair)

After about 15 minutes of putting the meringue in the oven I began to smell smoke. Hmmm, surely not. Oh yes! THEY WERE BURNING. I immediately pulled out the ones that were on the bottom rack and got this...
WHAT...IS....THIS????? Did I just make pancakes? You will be happy to know that the other pans were alright and continued to cook without burning. In the meantime I got the cones ready.
 I totally got this right (there was no cooking involved in this step). Alright so, the timer goes off and I get the meringue out of the oven and begin to transfer to the cooling racks. Well, guess what happens??? THEY BEGIN TO CRACK AND BREAK. Long story short, I did manage to save most of them. Mine did not turn out as cute as Beth's did. But, they tasted yummy and the girls LOVED them! That's what it's all about, right?

5 comments:

  1. Oh no! I'm so sorry it didn't go smoothly for you ;(. The only time I've had trouble with meringues is when I accidentally had some greasy residue in my bowl. Sometimes if you handwash a mixing bowl it doesn't get 100% de-buttered or oiled, or whatever and it causes your egg whites to not fluff. I don't know. It's one theory? They look super cute in your last pic, and I like how you drizzled the icing on top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I found some confirmation for my theory. Here's some tips on making meringue! http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f40/my-meringue-nightmare-with-tips-for-perfect-meringues-10.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! These look so delicious and beautiful! I will definitely have to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...and don't forget about the burnt sugar smell that permeated the house for the next four days! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's why I just buy oreos. Seriously.

    (end product is too cute though)

    (and all little girls looks homeless. I used to tease my mom about the photos of me and my three sisters growing up and how we looked like peasants. and then I had a girl. HA!)

    ReplyDelete